We have had a lot of rain this summer. In fact it is raining as I write this post. Rainy days are a big problem when you have a gamer in your house. No one wants to get dressed and get productive, they would rather sit on the couch with a blanket and play a game or watch TV. It is hard for mom too because she wants the kids to be quiet as she curls up with her computer or catches up with a friend on her phone. Because it is hard for everyone to get moving on a rainy day, your job as media manager gets harder too. In fact, you have to be even more careful that media doesn’t saturate your child’s mind like a flash flood on these days.
What do we do at our house? I keep all media off on rainy days because it is so tempting to leave it on too long or most of the day. I can’t seem to stay on top of it especiallyon rainy days. When it is sunny it is so easy to turn it off and send them out, but when it is raining we have some strange idea in our head that kids need to stay inside. I’m not sure where that came from but we need to re-think it.
This is what I have learned about rainy days:
- It usually doesn’t rain all day. Just because it is raining when you get up doesn’t mean that you won’ t have a ‘wet but not raining’ window of opportunity to go outside at some point so don’t think that the TV needs to stay on the whole day.
- Boys don’t melt. Boys love to play in the rain. It is right up there with playing in the mud! Summer showers are PERFECT for many outdoor activities. It is OK for your child to get wet. Little girls love to play with umbrellas and cute goulashes and boys love to play in the rain so let them. Don’t over protect here.
- Some outdoor chores are easier on wet and rainy days. While obviously you don’t want to be out in a thunderstorm, It is much easier to pull weeds on a rainy day. In fact, that is when we pull weeds at our house because it is so much easier.
- It is cooler to do things outdoors on rainy days. Heavy yard clean-up, digging, hauling, loading and planting are all better in the summer rain. Do you have mulch to spread? A rainy day is perfect. A rainy day is a great time to play football or catch in the front yard too.
- Cleaning the garage is another rainy day activity at our house. It is so much easier to do that chore when it is raining rather than on a sunny day that is tempting you to ride your bike or swim in the pool rather than clean.
- Reading on the porch. That counts as an outdoor activity at our house. The warm humidity, the sound of the rain and birds all paint the perfect backdrop for a good book (even if it is one from your school’s summer reading list!)
So while there are many great indoor activities to do on a rainy day (that I will cover in more detail soon) from playing cards to cleaning your room don’t forget the wonderful outdoor activities for a wet day! Make a list right now of all the outdoor things you can do at your house on a rainy day!